Regional Relic Heritage

Regional Relic Heritage

Regional Relic Heritage

Milseonggunmyoyeok and Sindobi (Regional Relic Heritage 2)

Milseonggunmyoyeok and Sindobi picture
Instruction

Milseonggun (1430~1479) was the fifth illegitimate son of Joseon Dynasty's King Sejong and his name was Chim. His adulthood name was Mun-Ji and his mother was of the Shin Bin Kim family. Usually, the Sindo tombstone is placed in southeast of the tomb facing south, and the term Sindo means the tomb road of the dead meaning the road of the sprits.
※ What is the difference between Neung, Won and Myo?
The tombs of the Joseon Dynasty are classified as neung, won and myo. "Neung" is the tomb for the king and the queen, "won" is the tombs for the king's illegitimate sons, the mother and the spouse of the king's illegitimate sons, and “myo” is the tombs for princes, princesses, and illegitimate daughters of the king and so the names were given accordingly to the grade of rank.

Location

99-1, Choijunganggil, Hanam-si (319-5, Choi-dong)

Sachungseowon and Myojeongbi (Regional Relic Heritage 3)

Sachungseowon and Myojeongbi picture
Instruction

It is a memorial hall built in, Noryangjin, Gwacheon (Current Noryangjin Station) in 1725 (the 1st year of King Yeongjo) to commemorate four ministers, Kim Chang-Jip, Yi Yi-Myung, Yi Kun-Myung and Cho Tae-Chae sacrificed during Sinim massacre. These were the people falsely accused to death by small theory party in their attempt to enthrone Yeongjo, and as soon as Yeongjo came to throne, he commanded the construction of Sachungseowon (memorial hall) to commemorate these people. However, when the small theory party came to power through Chung Mi distress in 1727, the four ministers once again became criminals and the memorial hall was closed as well. Subsequently in 1740, the four ministers were ruled to be loyal subjects once again, however, it was not until 1756 when the memorial hall was reconstructed and called Sachungseowon. During the Japanese occupation of Korea in 1927 spring, the site for Sachungseowon was expropriated as railroad lot so the memorial hall was moved to Bogwang-dong, Hanji-myeon, Goyang-gun (currently, Bogwang-dong, Yongsan-gu). However, it was destroyed during the Korean War and in 1968, it was moved/reconstructed in the current location.

Location

37, Dongsumak-gil (100- 2, Sangsangok-dong)

Gusan sacred ground (Regional Relic Heritage 4)

Gusan sacred ground picture
Instruction

In the place named Gusan using turtle "Gu" and mountain "San" because it looks like a turtle, there is the sacred ground where saint Antonio Kim Sung-Woo, one of the 103 saints, and eight other martyrs were buried. Because of their beautiful landscape, Gusan sacred ground and Gusan Cathedral appear very often as background for filming of dramas, commercials and movies. Catholics and tourists very often visit it because it is a place where one can experience footprints of adversity and glory in a snug setting. Especially, in Gusan village, the descendants of the martyrs have preserved the burial grounds in their original forms and have kept the church and maintained their faith for over 200 years.

Location

387-12, Mangwol-dong, Hanam-si

Gyosan-dong Building relics (Historic Site) (Regional Relic Heritage 5)

Gyosan-dong Building relics picture
Instruction

Gyosan-dong Building relics (Historic Site) is related to Hanam's Wiryeseong Fortress of Baekje. It has been noted for long time, and from 1999 to 2002, the Research Institute of Cultural Heritage of Gyeonggi and Incheon conducted excavation investigation on it. As a result of this excavation investigation, no relic or ruins related to Baekje's Hanam Wiryeseong Fortress were found, but it was discovered that the fortress was used as a building site for long time from the Unified Silla period to the Joseon period. In that building site, various relics from the end of Unified Silla period to Joseon period were excavated. Of those, many different types of Myeongmunwa (roofing tiles) such as 'Guan' and 'Gwangju Guestroom', along with commercial porcelain and utensils used in ancestral rites were excavated. This building site, located at the foot of the Gaeksan Mountain, which is a part of the Geomdansan Mountain Range, is a very huge site with U-shape to the east, west, and south, excluding north, and on the outer layer is surrounded by Tulou. The characteristics of the ruins are presumed to be a governmental building related to governing a city in Gwangju during the Goryeo period.

Location

78-3 area, Gyosan-dong, Hanam-si

Tomb of Unsangun and Memorial Stone (Regional Relics Heritage 6)

Tomb of Unsangun and Memorial Stone picture
Instruction

Unsangun Lee Gye (1453, 1st year of King Danjong of Joseon ~ 1510, 5th year of King Jungjong of Joseon) was the son of Milseonggun Lee Chim, and his mother was Lady Yeoheungminssi. His Ja was Sinong and his Siho (a posthumous epithet) is Gongso. As he displayed intellgience from a young age, King Sejo of Joseon loved him very much and taught him Saseo (book of history) and Gyeongseo (classics) himself. In 1464 (10th year of King Sejo of Joseon), he was appointed as Unsangun. Later, he became Honglokdaebu, and reached Dojejo at Hongloksangjeon Jongbusi. In 1506 (12th year of King Yeonsangun), during the Jungjong Banjeong (Dethronement by King Jungjong of Joseon), he received the Ho (honorific name) of Byeongchungbuneuiigun Jeonggukgongsin (A title or a name which was given to someone who was involved in the Dethronement by King Jungjong of Joseon). In June 1509 (4th year of King Jungjong of Joseon), he became a Jejo of Jongchinbu, Jongbushi, and Saongwon. He had 3 sons and 3 daughters from the first wife, the daughter of Jubu Gwak Deuk-ryun, and from the daughter of Jeong Ja-suk, the remarried governor of Gimje-gun. The first son was Cheolseonggun Lee Gaeng, the second son was Goseounggun Lee Gang, and the third son was Gwangseoungbujeong Lee Jeon. The eldest daughter was married to Pacheongun Yun Tang-no, the second daughter was married to Chambong Jo Sin-chung, and the third daughter was married to Yuhak Song Se-yeong. On April 28, 1518 (13th year of King Jungjong of Joseon), a Memorial Stone written by Namgon was erected. The Memorial Stone’s height is 300㎝, width is 82㎝, and thickness is 23㎝.

Location

San 4-1, Choi-dong, Hanam-si

Tomb of Gwangju Yi Clan and Memorial Stone (Regional Relics Heritage 7)

Tomb of Gwangju Yi Clan and Memorial Stone picture
Instruction

Inhwa Yi was the wife of Lee Dang, who was the progenitor of the Gwangju Yi Clan. Lee Dang was a student of Gukjagam at the end of Goryo Dynasty, and during the Joseon Dynasty, he was Jaheondaebu Ijopanseo as well as Jaeuigeumbusa (one of the government positions) at the same time. Between him and his wife Yi, he had 5 sons, In Ryeong, Won Ryeong, Hui Ryeong, Ja Ryeong, and Cheon Ryeong, who all passed the civil service examination. Particularly, the second son Won Ryeong, who would later be known as Duncheon Lee Jib, served as Bongsundaebu Panjeongyosisa. He had interactive relationship with Mogeun Yi Seak, Poeun Jeong Mong-ju, and Doeun Lee Sung-in, who were known as The Three Eun in Goryeo, and was renowned for his academics. Of his descendents, 186 people passed the civil service examination, and many including Lee Geuk-bae, Lee Jun-gyeong, and Lee Deok-pyeong served as Yeongeuijeong (prime minister). In 1504 (10th year of King Yeonsangun), during the Second Literati Purge of 1504, the grave was lost, but was rediscovered in 1754 (30th year of King Yeongjo of Joseon) when the 14th descendent Chang Ha found the tombstone buried here. This tomb is a grave over 600 years old, bears the characteristics of the tombstone of the progenitor of the Family of Gwangju Yi Clan, which is the clan of To of old Gwangju-gun, and is the propitious site that bears the Legend of Yeousan Mountain.

Location

126-13, Daeseong-ro, Hanam-si (Gyosan-dong)

Memorial Stone for Yu Hong (Regional Relic Heritage 8)

Memorial Stone for Yu Hong picture
Instruction

Yu Hong (1524 ~ 1594) was the son of Jeung Yeongeuijeong Yu Gwan’s son, and his mother was from the Uiryeong Nam Clan and the daughter of Jeung Saboksijeong Nam Chung-se. In 1549 (4th year of King Myeongjong of Joseon), he passed the Samasi (licentiate examination) and in 1553 (8th year of King Myeongjong of Joseon) he passed the Byeolsimungwa to enter into government service. He served as Samsa and then served as Gwanchalsa (governor) of 5 dos (provinces) - Chungcheong/Jeolla/Gyeongsang/Hamgyeong/Pyeongan. In 1589 (22nd year of King Seonjo of Joseon), he went to the Ming Dynasty as a Jonggyebyeonmusa, and after that he was appointed as Giseong Buwongun for being Gwanggukildeunggongsin (a title bestowed upon those who distinguished themselves by contributing to correcting the royal family’s line). When the Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592 broke out, he served as a servant to the prince, and led the royal forces and volunteer army as a Dochechalsa to fight against the Japanese soldiers. After the Japanese soldiers retreated, he went to Seoul first and organized the government offices and the castle town, as was appointed as Jwaeuijeong by the King in 1594 (27th year of the King Seonjo of Joseon) for his services. He had 4 sons, Dae Sul, Dae Geon, Dae Jin, and Dae Il, and 2 daughters. He had talent in poetry and prose, and had lots of books. His Ho (pen name) was Songdang, the origin of the clan is Gigye, and his Siho (a posthumous epithet) is Chungmok. He was appointed to Yeongeuijeong (prime minister) as an honorary rank after he passed away. He left the collection of Songdang's writings. The gravestone, built in 1813 (13th year of King Sunjo of Joseon), was composed by Ijopanseo Jang Yu, and written by his descendent Yu Han-ji wrote it, whose Yeseoche (calligraphy) was highly praised by calligraphers. The gravestone’s foundation stone was erected on the huge rectangular stone, and a roof-shaped stone is placed on top of the head of the gravestone. Its height is 167㎝, width is 60㎝, and thickness is 54㎝.

Location

55, Sangokdong-ro 106beon-gil, Hanam-si (Hasangok-dong)

Tomb of Seonseonggun and Stone Figures (Regional Relic Heritage 9)

Tomb of Seonseonggun and Stone Figures picture
Instruction

The Tomb of Seonseonggun has more than 10 graves of the Family of Seonseonggun, including King Jeongjong’s (the 2nd king of Joseon) fourth son Seonseonggun Lee Mu-saeng and his wives from the clan of Jeong, Kim, Han, as well as his descendants Byeongsangun, Jisangun, Pungsanburyeong, Iwongun, Daegu Dohobusa Lee Jun-do, Dongbokgong and more. Seonseonggun Lee Mu-saeng was granted the title of nobility Jungjikdaebu Jeong Yun in 1425 (7th year of King Sejong of Joseon), and Won Yun in 1432 (14th year of King Sejong of Joseon). In 1454 (2nd year of King Danjong of Joseon), he was granted the title of prince, Jungeuidaebu Seonseonggun, and in 1872 (9th year of King Gojong of Joseon), he was appointed Sangboguksungrokdaebu Yeongjongjeonggyeong as an honorary rank after he passed away. His Siho (a posthumous epithet) is Yang Jeong. In the Tomb of Seonseonggun, there are numerous stone structures including the gravestone of Seonseonggun, Myogal (a type of gravestone), hanging lanterns, Sangseok (retangular stones which are used as a table for ancestral rites), Honyuseok (rectangular stones which are put behind the Sangseok), Yangseok (a sheep-shaped statue which is put in front of the King's grave to make it sacred), Mangjuseok (pillars which stand on both sides of the grave), statues of Child Manjusri, Goseok (a drum-shaped stone which is meant to support the Sangseok), Hyangroseok (a stone which is used as a table to burn incense), and Muninseok (a statue which stands in front of the King's grave), which were made throughout the entire period of Joseon Dynasty. The epitaph of the Tomb of Seonseonggun was composed by Lee Myeong-sang, and written by Yung Yong-gu. Jeonaek (a name of the gravestone which is written in Jeonja-style) was done by Min Byeong-seok. Also, the epitaph composed by Yun Geun-su, and written by Kim Hyeon-seong on the Myogal by Lee Jun-do makes a very nice complement. This tomb is a valuable material to estimate the scale and norms of tombs of princes in the Joseon Dynasty, and the stone structures within the tomb has important academic value in understanding the history and shapes of stone structures of Joseon Dynasty.

Location

San 64, Deokpung 1-dong, Hanam-si

Site of Birthplace of Dr. Hyeonmin Yu Jin-o (Regional Relic Heritage 10)

Site of Birthplace of Dr. Hyeonmin Yu Jin-o picture
Instruction

The birthplace of Dr. Hyeonmin Yu Jin-o (1906 - 1987) was destroyed 60 years ago and now only the site remains. Listening to the people of the village and looking at the position of the site, it is a “L” shaped private house typical in the central region, and is presumed to be a thatched house with size of 5 rooms looking in the east direction. The wall on the north side is a mud wall, and to the west and southeast, the walls are made of bush clover. The gate, which is symmetrical to the front side of the main building, is also made of bush clover. To the northeast side of the house, there was a restroom built against the wall. The well used was a village well located 50m away to the south.

Location

512-2, Sangsangok-dong, Hanam-si

Tomb of Bak Gang and Stone Figures (Regional Relic Heritage 11)

Tomb of Bak Gang and Stone Figures picture
Instruction

Bak Gang was a Munsin (civil servant) in early Joseon Dynasty. His origin of the clan is Bannam and was born as the second son of Bak Eun, who had served as Jwaeuijeong in 1406 (6th year of King Taejong of Joseon). In 1444 (26th year of King Sejong of Joseon), he was appointed as Daehogun, and after that he served as Gungigamjeong Gongjochamui. In 1450 (1st year of King Munjong of Joseon), he became Dojeoljesa in Hwanghae-do, and the next year he became Dogwanchalsa in Hwanghae-do and Byeongmadojeoljesa at the same time. In 1452 (1st year of King Danjong of Joseon Dynasty), he became Gwanchalsa in Gangwon-do and Jungchuwon Busa, and in 1455 (1st year of King Sejo of Joseon), he was appointed as Chuchungjwaikgongsin Dongjihungchuwonsa (administrative department of Joseon) Geumcheongun for helping King Sejo to become the king, and was chosen as a clean government employee. In 1457 (3rd year of King Sejo of Joseon), he became Jijungchuwonsa, and In 1460 (6th year of King Sejo of Joseon), he died in line of duty serving the king. His Siho (a posthumous epithet) is Seyang. During the time of King Injo’s reign, as Chueun (the father of someone who holds a government position) of Queen Inseong, he was appointed to Uijeongbujwachanseong and Panuigeumbusa Owidochongbudochonggwan as an honorary rank after he passed away, and his wife, Tongjinhyeonbuin Lady Sunheunganssi, was appointed to Jeonggyeongbuin (Lady Jeonggyeong) after she passed away. Of the stone figures constructed in the tomb, Bak Gang's grave mark, Lady Sunheunganssi's grave mark, and 4 Muninseoks (stone structures of civil servants) were made in the Joseon Dynasty, which reflects very well the trends of stone arts in those days.

Location

San 5, Choi-dong, Hanam-si

Tomb of Bak Chi and Stone Figures (Local relicsRegional Relic Heritage 12)

Tomb of Bak Chi and Stone Figures picture
Instruction

Bak Chi (1441-1499) is from the Bannam Bak family clan and a typical vassal of Yangban (the noble) class in Joseon Dynasty, who served as Hyeongjo, Gongjo, and Jeonglang, which were administrative offices those days, and then went up as high as Saheonbu Jibeui, which was called Cheongyojik. The size of the tomb is not that big, but contains the grave of Bak Chi and his wife, who was from the clan of Seong in Changnyeong with their original appearance preserved, and grave mark, Hyangroseok (a stone which is used as a table to burn incense), Honyuseok (rectangular stones which are put behind the Sangseok), Muninseok (a statue which stands in front of the King's grave) on the left and right side, Mangjuseok (pillars which stand both side of the grave), and grave mark of the gravestone built in 2000 are placed in the tomb.

Location

Tomb of Yeolnyoe (a virtuous woman) Lady Wansanissi and Stone Figures (Regional Relic Heritage 13)

Tomb of Yeolnyoe (a virtuous woman) Lady Wansanissi and Stone Figures picture
Instruction

Yeolnyoe (a virtuous woman) Lady Wansanissi was the granddaughter of Murimgun Lee Seon-saeng, who was the 15th son of King Jeongjong, and daughter of Myeongcheondojeong Lee Jang-son. She got married to Seong Gyeong-on, who was the son of Yeongeuijeong Seong Jun, and had 1 boy and 3 girls. Seong Gyeong-on passed Jinsasi in 1483 (14th year of King Seongjong of Joseon), and passed Mungwabyeolsi in 1503 (9th year of King Yeonsangun of Joseon) and became Gongjojeonglang, but in 1504 (10th year of Yeonsangun), his father was involved in Second Literati Purge of 1504 and was strangled to death, so Seong Gyeong-on sent into exile, where he committed suicide. He was buried in Jeongrimsan Mountain, Gwangju and his wife Lady Wansanissi lived beside the grave and prepared the sacrificial food herself in the morning and in the evening. After the mourning period was over, she wore white clothes the rest of her life and never ate meat, to which King Jungjong commended her for her self-control, and praised her for her loyalty. Lady Wansanissi’s son Seong Nam married the daughter of Hong Dal-jeong, but only had 4 daughters, so he has no descendants. Of the daughters, the eldest daughter got married to Jinsa Gu Won-ji, and the son-in-law Gu Won-ji had his second son Gu Jing to hold ancestral rites for the Seong family. For this reason, below the grave of Lady Wansanissi, Gu Jing’s grave was located for his serving ancestral rites for Seong family. And below that is the grave of Gu Hyo-yeon, Gu Jing’s eldest son. The grave of Lady Wansanissi is a round shaped Mound Tomb where she was buried together with her husband. The stone figures remaining are Seong Gyeong-on’s Myogal and 1 pair of Mangjuseok (pillars which stand both side of the grave). Regarding Seong Gyeong-on’s Myogal, Sin Yong-gae composed the epitaph, and Kim Hui-soo wrote it.

Location

118, Gamil-ro 142beon-gil, Hanam-si

Tomb of Lee Jong-saeng and Stone Figures (Regional Relic Heritage 14)

Tomb of Lee Jong-saeng and Stone Figures picture
Instruction

Lee Jong-saeng was a military official of early Joseon Dynasty, and Hampyeong was his family clan. In 1423 (5th year of King Sejong), he was born from his father Jeung Byeongjopanseo Hampyeonggun Lee Geuk-myeong and his mother, Tongsarang Jeong Hon’s daughter, and in 1495 (1st year of Yeonsangun), he passed away at age 73. He was buried at Gamcheon, west of Gwangju. His Ja was Gyeji and his Siho (a posthumous epithet) is Jangyang. His wife was Lady Jinwonbakssi, daughter of Yemungwan Jikjehak Bak Hui-jung. Lee Jong-saeng passed Mugwabyeolsi in 1460 (6th year of King Sejo of Joseon), and was appointed as Changsingyowi. In October the same year, he made a significant contribution as a gungwan (military official) of Bukjeongdowonsu Sin Suk-ju to become General Seonryak. In 1466 (12th year of King Sejo of Joseon), he was promoted to General Jeolchung. In 1467 (13th year of King Sejo of Joseon), he suppressed the Yi Si-ae rebellion and was raised to Jeongjungchulgijeokgaegongsin Hamseonggun, followed by Naegeumuijang in 1473 (4th year of King Seongjong of Joseon), Gyeongsangudo Byeongmajeoldosa in 1485 (16th year of King Seongjong of Joseon), the head of Gyeomsabok in 1491 (22nd year of King Seongjong of Joseon), and Buchonggwan in 1495 (1st year of Yeonsangun of Joseon). Regarding the tomb, his wife Lady Bak’s grave is located to the upper part, and Lee Jong-saeng’s grave is placed on the lower side. Also, below that is located Machong (a grave of a horse), the grave of Lee Jong-saeng’s horse. For the grave of Lee Jong-saeng, a grave mark of rectangular footstone and a roof-shaped coverstone were built in 1497 (4th year of Yeansangun of Joseon), and one pair of Muninseok (a statue which stands in front of the King's grave) was placed. For the wife Lady Bak’s grave, grave mark of rectangular footstone and garland-shaped mainstone, and one pair of Muninseok (a statue which stands in front of the King's grave) were placed. The stone figures being made for each individual like above was the way it was done in the early Joseon Dynasty, makes them important materials for research on the types of tomb and history of stone sculptures.

Location

San 120-1, Gambuk-dong, Hanam-si